Tuesday, January 12, 2010

SURF WOODY PROJECT !!!!!! PART H: FREAKBIKE/TALLBIKE HOW-TO BUILD IT !!!!!!!


This post I'll be showing you how I built the "grille shell" and bumper overriders for the cargo hoop. This is an area where you might want to come up with your own design and maybe use different materials that you already have or have access to. I'm trying to mimic the look of model T and model A Ford grilles and bumper overriders on cars such as older VW bugs,Volvos,etc. STEP ONE- I first took a pair of small hi-rise bars from a 16" banana seat bike and cut the tops off. Then added about 4" straight extensions made from frame tubing. I flattened the ends with a mini-sledge. STEP TWO- I then centered the grille on the front of the cargo hoop and using a 1/4" drillbit drilled 2 holes on each side and bolted it down. STEP THREE-For the side pieces I used a pair of 3-speed roadster bars,cut in half. I flattened both ends of each half,lined them up evenly and bolted them to the grille and the joints in the cargo hoop where the rim bolts to the side rails. STEP FOUR- For the rear I used another set of cut in half roadster bars and a length of electrical conduit bent to the same arc as the rim half on the back of the cargo hoop. I also used 2-2" long pieces of handlebar tubing to reinforce the spot where the uprights will bolt on to the rear overrider. These slide over the conduit center piece and the bar halves slide over each end as shown. STEP FIVE- I then flattened the bottoms of the bar halves,drilled 2 1/4" holes in each piece and bolted the ends to the joints where the rim joins the side rails as in the front. STEP SIX- I then cut the curved tubing from 2 fork legs, flattened and drilled each end with a 1/4" drillbit,and bolted them on the rim and the reinforced area of the conduit as shown. ALL DONE !!!!! They turned out just like I Imagined AND they're quite strong too !!! In PART I , I'll show how to make the side braces that tie into the frame.























































































No comments:

Post a Comment